"Food is the medicine when you are ill". When you eat well, you feel well.
It is very important to keep our body stay healthy during Covid-19 pandemic. Maintaining a healthy diet can keep our immune system strong for fighting the disease. You'll see the benefits to boost your immune system with these tips.
Eat a variety of foods
Eat a combination of different foods including whole grains such as rice, maize, nuts and beans, fruit and vegetables and some foods from animal sources (e.g. meat, fish, eggs and milk).
Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables
There are various fruits in the summer season in Vietnam. Don't miss the chance to eat fruits. Eat fresh and a variety of fruit and vegetables.
Keep salt intake to less than 5 g per day (approximately 1 teaspoon)
Use less salt during cooking and preparing food.
- Check the lables on food and choose products with lower sodium content.
- Limit processed and prepackaged foods, which can be full of hidden sodium.
- Remove the salt shaker from the table, and instead use fresh or dried herbs and spices for added flavour.
Eat moderate amounts of healthier fats and oils
- Replace butter, ghee and lard (saturated fats) with oils rich in healthier fats (unsaturated fats) like olive, soy, sunflower or corn oil when cooking.
- Choose white meats like poultry and fish which are generally lower in fats than red meat.
- Select low-fat milk and dairy products.
- Avoid processed, baked and fried foods that contain industrially-produced trans-fat.
- Try steaming or boiling instead of frying food when cooking.
Limit sugar intake
- Limit intake of sweets and sugary drinks.
- Choose fresh fruits instead of sweet snacks such as cookies, cakes and chocolate.
- When other dessert options are chosen, ensure that they are low in sugar and consume small portions.
Drink enough water and stay hydrated
Drink enough plain water is a simple way to get hydrated as it has zero calories.
Avoid hazardous and harmful alcohol use
Alcohol is not part of a healthy diet. Drinking alcohol does not protect against COVID-19 and can be dangerous. There is no safe level of alcohol consumption.
Source: Maintain a healthy diet during COVID-19 pandemic | National Health Portal Of India (nhp.gov.in)